Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Vietnam – Cambodia 2013 – Part 4

When we got to Bayon temple a number of elephants all lined up waiting for visitors to ride them for a fee (USD12) welcomed us. It was surreal for me because it’s the closest I could ever get with an elephant. It’s not like everyday I get to see an elephant on the roads of Manila. We only got one elephant in the Philippines and she’s in the zoo, her name is Mali and the last time I saw her I think I was in grade school.
Image
Bayon Temple
Just like the Angkor Wat temple, the Bayon has tons of bas-reliefs all over its wall. Compared to the bas-reliefs of Angkor Wat which depicts episodes of Ramayana and Mahabharata. Bayon’s bas-reliefs are more on the historical scenes from the everyday life of ancient Khmer. On its peak, multitude of calm and vast stone faces on its many towers are mounted and just clusters around its central peak.
I noticed that many of its stones are left on the ground like it has been deliberately removed from its original construction. Our tour guide said that people from the past have indeed removed it and unfortunately unable to rebuild it. Just like at the Angkor Wat endless phototaking is inevitable. lol. I like that we took a lot of creative shots utilizing the massive stone faces! Hah!
ImageHappy shots for happy people
Image
 A quick stop just outside the temple to buy water and then riding our rented tuk-tuk we head off to Ta Prohm. I am really more excited to see this temple. lol. It’s almost noon time so expect a lot of people flocking on this spot since this is a bit far from Angkor Wat temple, Ta Prohm is the last itinerary on the usual tour.
Ta Prohm is somehow situated in the middle of a jungle. Trees growing out of the ruins have made it Angkor’s most popular temples in the complex. It was believed to be built as a monastery or university for Mahayana Buddhists until its fall in 17th century.
Among the temples we’ve seen, I must say Ta Prohm was the most abandoned. Even our tour guide have mentioned that compared to the temples we’ve visited, Ta Prohm is less likely being used now for praying although it used to be a Buddhist monastery around 12th century.
Image
Ta Prohm was abandoned for hundreds of years and according to our tour guide, people have decided to isolate or leave Ta Prohm the way it had been found and did not bother to conserve nor restore any structures like the way they did with the other temples as to preserve the beauty it naturally created as it became one with nature.
The most apparent feature of Ta Prohm are probably the trees springing out of the ruins. It seems to me like the jungle is eating the whole complex. Roots crawling on the roof or hanging on the wall that used to protect the Monks inside for centuries.
Compared to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom, Ta Prohm does not have many chronological bas-reliefs. I’m not sure why but I find some representational art at the temple quite interesting. Like some of the designs I found looked like a dinosaur (stegosaurus?), alien and a UFO. I mean, where did the ancient Khmer find the inspiration? Have they encountered or seen these? I asked our tour guide about it and he just shrugged. lol.
ImageRuins in the jungle – Ta Prohm
 The place is just so picturesque. No wonder the place was used as a location and inspiration in making a Hollywood film, does Angeline Jolie’s “Tomb Raider” ring a bell?
It’s past lunch time and we’re done with the tour. We had a hefty breakfast so we really don’t feel like eating yet and since we’re done seeing the temples we decided to go to a Khmer market to do shopping for souvenirs.
On our way downtown, while our ride was moving, 3 french guys pedalling their rented bicycles came out of nowhere and suddenly held on to our tuk-tuk. I know that my two roomies liked the guys because they were the guys we saw at the temple, so basically they got their eyes on these guys way back at the temple. lol. But considering how conservative my friends are they won’t be doing the first move.. So I started chatting with the french guys for them! lol. Ugh! Such a beautiful people! It was fun while it lasted! lol.
Our tour guide brought us to the downtown market. It’s really clean and organised. We were given an hour to buy whatever we wanna buy. We had to separate to maximise the time given. It was during this time that my bargaining skill was tested and I am pretty much happy with the result. hahaha! I bought just enough for my Mom and friends.
Image
Market!
I didn’t buy much aside from the things I really find nice because my plan is to splurge back in Ho Chi Minh. We found this convenience store just across the market complex and it was nice to know they got wi-fi! lol. Free internet!!!! So I did whatever I can do with the internet access, checked Facebook, Twitter, emails, updated status, uploaded some teaser photos about the tour and checked-in to Foursquare! lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment