Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Vietnam – Cambodia 2013 – Part 3

Just like any other travels that we had, being a morning person, I get to wake up first. At 4AM, after I took a shower, I woke up my two room mates to remind them that we need to be at the lobby by 5AM.
5:00AM our tuk-tuk is on the way to the temple gates but before that we had to stop at the nearby ATM. You got two options when withdrawing money in Cambodia either getting Riel or Dollar. Back to our tuk-tuk about 20 minutes drive from the city proper we arrived at the temple gate to buy a one day pass for US$20.00/per person. A picture of you will be taken which is imperative for your one day pass, so, SMILE!
IMG-20131202-00579
My friend’s Angkor One Day Pass
The Angkor Wat can be found at the Angkor Archaeological Park. This park contains the grandiose remains of many temples of Khmer empire from 9th to 15th centuries, among these temples are the Angkor Wat Temple, Ta Prohm and Bayon Temple.
5:30AM we arrived at the foot of Angkor Wat and waited for sunrise. There are hundreds of tourists from around the globe waiting to see a spectacular sunrise, unfortunately, it’s been raining the night before so we hardly see this airy peach and orange light from the sky because of too much clouds but it cannot be renounced how hefty and  monumental the temple is. 
ImageTourists waiting for sunrise
Our tour guide gave us an ample time to take pictures by the foreground of the temple. It’s a dream come true experience that we took whatever possible beautiful shots we can get (extreme long shots, long shots, panoramic, artistic, architectural and camera shots)
By 7AM we started our tour around this grand temple.  At some point I would wander far from our tour because I got frenzied over the place I’d rather take pictures of these fascinating bas-reliefs. Anyway, I can always google its history. lol. According to our guide, most of the bas-reliefs on the wall depicts episodes from the Hindu epics Ramayana and the Mahabarata,
ImageCentury old bas-reliefs
If I remember correctly, this 12th century old temple was originally built to honour the supreme hindu God “Vishnu” – “..master of and beyond the past, present and future, the creator and destroyer of all existence, one who supports, preserves, sustains and governs the universe and originates and develops all elements within.. – Wikipedia“, but time came that then leader switched to Buddhism and then its successor switched back to Hinduism or something like that which explains why there are several temples not only for Hindu but also for Buddhist.
You might actually find some Monks in the area as most of Angkor’s major temples today houses a few Buddha statues. We are not encouraged to approach the Monks for picture or interview, not that they’re snob or anything it’s just to give them the space and peace that they have also given you as you roam around their temples.
Reminder: There is a dress code. These temples are still holy for Cambodians so you gotta respect the dress code. You need to cover your legs (below the knees at least) and also your shoulders. Just so you know the dress code is strictly enforced in two places: top level of Angkor Wat and Phnom Bakheng. Seriously, I almost didn’t get to enter because my shoulders were exposed so I had to borrow my friends jacket.
Image
Oh the photo sessions were endless! lol. I don’t even have to bother taking out my camera and take pictures much because my friends we’re taking so much I’mma just grab their photos! lol.
It’s a great view once you get to the top of the Angkor Wat temple. You can see the whole park and you will realize that the entire place is being surrounded by a moat. Apart from the moat symbolizes ocean it also provided some protection from intrusion by the jungle. The view is so mesmerizing I didn’t notice that my friends have left and went down already.
When I was about to go down I saw how steep the stairs were and how high I was at.. I suddenly had a panic attack, I am acrophobic. I asked myself, why the heck did I even bother to come up here?! I felt all my blood on my face drained, there’s shortness of breathing and anytime I’m going to faint. A foreigner from my behind waiting for me to take the step asked if I’m okay (because I wasn’t moving), I smiled at her, stepped back and gave her space as I tightly hold on the post of the temple refusing to look down. I tried looking for my friends on the ground. When I saw them I shouted one name, but no response, it’s too high I don’t know if my voice even reached the ground.
I saw them looking around when they realized I wasn’t with them yet and thank God they looked up and saw me shaking my head in objection to go down all by myself and just like that they already know the problem. Two of them collected me from the top. People were staring at us because I was too cautious taking every step barely taking my eyes off my feet. I almost punched Mark because he kept on laughing at me while we’re going down, and my fear for this is a no laughing matter!
Angkor5A big relief and grin appeared on my face as soon as I made it to the ground. That first part of the tour made us hungry, I checked the clock, it’s 9AM! We decided to have a quick breakfast. Our tour guide brought us to this restaurant just outside Angkor Wat entrance.
The place is quite big and half packed. Outside the restaurant you will be swarmed by the locals selling accessories and souvenirs. As we check the menu I suddenly craved for eggs. I saw Lok lak –  a stir-fried marinated sliced beef served with lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes topped with a sunny side up egg served with rice and it’s a bit spicy! Reminded me of a Filipino breakfast, TapSiLog. Perfect breakfast! Hah!
angkor4Breakfast at Angkor Wat
The place is so open the vendors can get inside the restaurant and actually offer you what they’re selling even while you’re eating, it’s a bit annoying to be honest. So for the peace of my mind and bought a bracelet made of bamboo, it’s just simple but quite pretty and for USD1.00 you get to have ten thin bamboo bracelets. The kids were actually the one selling it.
It was actually during that time that we get to talk to the kids and I found out how much they love and respect Angelina Jolie in their country because of how much she helped the children of Cambodia. Amazing!!
After that pleasing breakfast we decided to go and see the next temple, the Angkor Thom. So we hopped back onto our rented tuk-tuk and enjoyed the ride on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment