Sunday, September 15, 2013

Davao 2013 – Day 6 (Lake Agco)

5:00AM call time as agreed, we're bound to the capital of Cotabato province - Kidapawan City. The city is found at the foot of the country's highest mountain, Mt. Apo making it a great spot and first-rate tourist attraction. Mom said that it's first settlers were predominantly Manobos but right now Cebuanos, Ilonggos and Ilocanos are the major ethnic group.

Travel time from Davao City to Kidapawan  will take around 2hrs but it felt like more than it because the local government was having a road widening construction on the major roads tendency to have a one lane road.

Anyway, we arrived in Kidapawan at around 9 o'clock. Originally we're to stay at the Grandshine Hotel but since Mindanao that time was having a crisis that during daytime they got no electricity and the hotel does not have a generator, it will be really difficult to stay in that hotel on that condition so my brother transferred us to AJ Hi-Time Hotel - Address: Laurel Street, Poblacion, Kidapawan City, North Cotabato, Philippines. Phone:+63 64 288 1811 which is just a block away from the previous one, good thing they have their own generator and their staff is very friendly and accommodating.

CollageImage

Just a quick rest and my brother picked us up the hotel so we can proceed to Lake Agco where you can take a dip in a hot sulphuric water coming from the mighty Mt. Apo.  I'm really excited because I have always heard of it for ever since I can remember. lol. And the idea of being at the foot of Mt. Apo is just exciting enough. Check out the short video I got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTbj9yT23k

Oh by the way, did I tell you that Kidapawan city is dubbed as the fruit basket of the Philippines? With so much exotic fruits like Lanzones, Durian, Rambutan, Mangosteen, Marang (my fave), and Banana that are just being sold along the road and it was actually a wonderful sight to see.

I asked my Mom how come the place has so much variety of fruits and flowers particularly wild orchids (waling-waling).. She said that since the place is at the foot of Mount Apo it is more likely that the soil is very much rich in nutrients and blessed with a very neutral weather.. I guess it makes sense. lol.

Going to Lake Agco from Kidapawan city will take around 40 minutes. Quite a long travel, yes, BUT you will definitely enjoy the green scenery as you go higher up in the mountain and if you get lucky you might get to see a Philippine eagle flying around. What I like most was the change of climate as you go up, it becomes foggy and really chilly you will never need to turn on your A/C! lol.

Finally when I saw the welcome banner, that's when I knew we're near. We parked the car and one by one we went our way to the entrance. I didn't get to see how much the entrance fee but it's like around Php50 since we'll be only staying for half of the day. You can actually do overnight as they got rooms but I think it's a different rate already.

Lake Agco 01 copy

I changed to my swimwear and headed to a muddy pool which is really hot. I was actually having second thoughts of joining my mom on the pool because I don't think I can bear the temperature of the water and because of the Sulphur content it causes the water to be cloudy I can barely see what's underneath it and I'm scared of that. lol. They said that the sulphur can help cure skin diseases. It causes skin drying and peeling to help treat skin conditions.

We went to this cave where there's a sulphur steam coming out. The smell of sulphur is quite unappealing at first but as you stay longer inside you'll get used to it besides Mom said that the sulphur steam is good for people with asthma, not that I have one but I guess it doesn't hurt to inhale it. lol.

Lake Agco02 copy

We had a quick lunch and rest for a while but then after it we went back to swimming, this time at the pool! From hot and muddy pool to now a very cold one. The water from the pool comes from the mighty mountain so you can already imagine how cold it was!! It was freaking freezing!! lol. Mom was like showing off when instead of slowly getting in to the pool she opted to dive in at the cold water! For me I had to take time getting in.. lol.

There's this area in the pool where there are waterfalls coming from the mountain putting pressure on my head and back which is so relaxing. I didn't stay long as the cold temperature is really unbearable for me. I hurriedly changed my clothes and my brother said we're about to leave anyway. lol.

We left Lake Agco at around three in the afternoon and arrived back in the city an hour later. My brother and his family dropped us at the hotel and they went back to their place. They will pick us around dinner for some grilled native chicken.

At 5PM mom and I went out of the hotel and we decided to visit her alma mater 'The Notre Dame of Kidapawan' which is a very popular school in the city because of it's quality of education. We went to downtown where she used to live and hangout and visited some familiar places to her.

Mom said she was popular in the city back in the days because every year she used to be the Grand Champion of every singing competition in the city and that she used to be Ms.Notre Dame of Kidapawan, Quite unbelievable at first but wait till I share to you the Day 7! lol

Mom said we should try having dinner at the barbecue stalls along the road because it's quite popular in the city. It was quite distressing to see the place because there was no electricity in the whole city. After a quick food trip we went back to the hotel.

adff copy

My sister in law and his father picked us up at the hotel and we're supposed to meet my brother at this restaurant which serves native grilled chicken. I had to say sorry to my brother because when we arrived at the restaurant he already ordered tons of grilled native chicken but I did not eat one because I do not eat native chicken. lol. I don't know but there's something about it that I don't like so I had some pork barbecue instead. lol.

We didn't stay long at the restaurant as my brother and his family had to return back home because they got a lot to do for the next day's party. As for me and Mom, we have to leave as early as 6am the next day to visit Mom's hometown to see her family, 30minutes from the city. Exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment