Thursday, March 28, 2013

Desserts with Mom


Mom and I have been very productive last Tuesday. We were able to sort out her clothes, clean the house, get my medical abstract from the hospital, repot the plants that are dying and we're able to FINALLY position mum's queen size bed, which turned into like a California king bed because of the  big bed frame, in my room (no more Japanese style bed) It was crazy.. And with today's weather I was sweating like hell! lol.

We finished at around 5pm. We had an early dinner at home and decided to have dessert somewhere. I remember going to a cafe somewhere near in the area when I was a kid and by 8PM we found ourselves in a jeepney going to Padre Faura.

Cafe Adriatico
Café Adriatico

As we were walking along the frisky street of Padre Faura, we saw a Japanese convenience store and saw a pickled ginger I love eating (Beni Shoga) So we bought a medium pack of it.

Finally we arrived at the Café Adriatico, an adored cafe in Manila, beautifully furnished with an old world impression starring Manila on its heyday.

It's been years since the last time I was here with my mother,  I have a bit of a blur idea of how their food tastes therefore I cannot really say much about all their food since we only went there to have desserts BUT judging their last course of the meal, I must say they were excellent.

Their food may be expensive but if you want an ambience close to an 1800's and experience a collection of divine Filipino and Spanish-Mediterranean dishes, then it is worth it.

Café Adriatico is known for having Chocolate Eh (thick and rich) and Chocolate Ah (watered and thin). Chocolate Eh has a bitter sweet taste while Chocolate Ah has more sweetness because of the milk added as per our server.

Mom had Halo-Halo espesyal (special), I asked Mom how was it and she liked it. She said that the amount of shaved ice, milk and other ingredients (fruits, beans and other sweets) was perfect. She was actually wondering what kind of milk was added as it was too tasty to be an ordinary evaporated milk. lol. Oh by the way, it was topped with vanilla ice cream too!

I had "Mango Jubilee" and "Chocolate Eh". The Mango Jubilee is basically made of mango balls with vanilla ice cream served in a glass. It was scrumptious in many ways. It may be too sweet because of the ripe mango plus the sweetness of vanilla ice cream but it's a perfect dessert for someone craving for something sweet.

I guess I made a wrong decision to order the "Chocolate Eh" for my "Mango Jubilee" but it cannot be denied that the "Chocolate Eh" is superior! I can already imagine pairing it with their "Kesong Puti with Pandesal" That could have been perfect!

What was entertaining was Mom, telling some old gossips of Manila on it's prime. From the enigma of some wealthiest family in Manila to the dirty world of politics. lol. I don't know how she got those classified informations but it was really entertaining. lol.

After settling the bill we bid goodbye to our server, gave him a tip despite our bill having a service charge and rode a taxi. It was a great night spent with my Mom. I cannot wait to have another spontaneous night out with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment