Thursday, October 6, 2011

Palawan 2011 - Day 2 (Underground River)

After a very daring activity at Tagabinet we headed to Sabang where we had our buffet lunch by the beach. The buffet consist of grilled pork and tuna, pancit, adobong manok, sauteed kangkong, nilagang baka, nilagang tuna, ensaladang mangga, and fruits. I was not able to take a picture because I was too hungry to even take just one but it was yum!

Welcome to Sabang, the gateway to Underground River

After lunch, while we were talking about the Spelunking experience we had a couple of hours ago a lady approached us and offered a very familiar delicacy of Palawan, need I say more?  -  the Tamilok or woodworm (for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipworm). 

She said that we really have not been to Palawan unless we tried it. Hah! The sales talk got us! One of the ladies on our table bought one order for Php 100 - that's five Tamilok for us. 

I never really want to have one as the idea of the word "worm" is bugging me but Val tried one and she said it's just really like oysters, so I eventually ended up eating one, the last one but the biggest, longest and probably the juiciest one. It was so long that I had to twirl it with a fork like a spaghetti. lol.

The second Tamilok

Valerie eating the fourth Tamilok

20 minute boat ride to the underground river site

Ahh.. Don't you just love seeing this kind of water.. It's like I'm seeing 7 shades of blue.

Welcome to the Underground River

The starting point

Safety first guys!

Here we go!

I found myself blown away when I saw these amazing mineral formations. The experience was amazing. Seeing the nature's gift to us is beyond explanation of the gratitude I felt inside the cave.  For someone like me who's enticed with history and heritage, this is really big.

Underground sediment depositions believed to be millions of years

One of the biggest stalagmites inside the "cathedral area" of underground river

Amazing formation of stalactites.

It took millions of years for these stalactites to be formed

While we were cruising the stretch of the underground I asked the mamang bangkero the location of the seacow (dugong) fossil, that the tour guide asked me secretly if we wanted to see it, but it would cost us additional fee (under the table) since this is not supposed to be known to the public yet, but the mamang bangkero did not respond on my inquiry (I asked him three times). 

When we got back to the land the tour guide said that this also depends on the bangkero. Some are really strict about telling the information about the location as the thing is still understudy by foreign scientists. The tour guide told us that PNoy visited couple of weeks before and went to see this amazing fossil. Haay.. Sayang talaga!

After the underground tour

Happy to see one of the finalists in the "New 7 Wonders of Nature"

Jose playing on the sand and very happy

In line with these, I am appealing to you my friends to please vote and support the Puerto Princesa Underground River. This will not only bring glory and honor to the Palaweños but to all of us Filipinos. In fact as of October 02 2011 the Philippines is the only left entry from Southeast Asia and we are on the fourth spot. We have became known as the text capital of the world. Let us show them! 

For more information on how to vote visit http://www.puerto-undergroundriver.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment